Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Steampunk Debutante "Anything Goes" Mason Jar Swap

 Hi Friends,

Today I'm sharing a wonderful jar I created for my secret sister, Scrapwritter aka Bren, in an "Anything Goes" mason jar swap at scrapbook.com.   My inspiration for this creation came from my own sweet friend and secret sister in this swap, Scrap Smart aka Suzie Miller.  Her beautiful creation can  be viewed up close at:  http://www.scrapbook.com/myplace/index.php?mod=galleries&u=234817&m=view&id=3905919&type=-1

I loved the iridescent effect on Suzie's jar which was created by using Modge Podge Gold Finish.  I didn't realize that Modge Podge came in different finishes, but it apparently does.  Rather than go out and purchase a ready made finish, I simply add gold glitter to my base and that worked out just fine. 
www.dawnasplace01.blogspot.com

This side of the canister showcases Prima's beautiful Queen Mary zipper flowers and plenty of gears, metal flowers and trinkets for finishing touches.  For a listing of supplies and embellishments, please go to my gallery at:  http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/641373/view/3949047/-1/0/1.html


To create this jar I cut out my images first, then used plan matte finish Modge Podge to apply them to the jar.  Once I secured all my images, I sealed them with my glittered mixture.  Next I added all my embellishments layering items along the way for lots of texture.  Then I gave everything a finishing coat of gilttered Modge Podge which gave everything an amazing sparkle.  I finished up by tying various ribbons around the mouth of the jar and hung chain with several different keys and trinkets fastened to the chain.
 

 To create the dots I used Ranger inks Perfect Pearls in aqua, silver and bronze.   I added some old antique gold buttons I had stashed and used several Tim Holtz metal muse charms and embossed some grunge board flourishes around the corners. 
www.dawnaplace01.blogspot.com
Even though our swap was for a mason jar I really wanted something slightly larger for scrapbook embellishment storage.  While rummaging about the thrift shops in Palm Springs, CA, I found this old canister.  It's just what I had in mind and worked perfectly for stuffing with goodies for my secret sister.   I'm always finding something wonderful to alter at the thrift and antique shops so I'm always on the lookout for something inspiring. 

These images come from an older Graphic 45 paper collection called Steampunk Debutante.  It's always been one of my favorite collections with its romantic images of beautiful self empowered women.   I find them feminine yet intelligent and mysterious with all their gears turning around in their heads.   Beauty and brains what more could any women ask for!

www.dawnasplace01.blogspot.com
 
The top separates nicely from the canister for easy storage and has been embellished using Prima's new zipper flower, bronze antique lace, chipboard, metal flowers, heart locket, vintage buttons, mulberry roses, cherry blossoms, muse charms, and filigree metal flowers with contrasting gem stone centers.  I went a little crazy with all the eclectic decorations, but hey, it was an "Anything Goes" swap -  how could I resist! 

In my mind, no altered project is complete unless its adorned wtih hanging charms.  I don't quite understand my attraction to them, but I just love to pile them on.  In this case I chose to use all bronze metal and added a few Tim Holtz word keys (Secret & Love), closure hook, pretty lace chain, an adorable luggage charm a very unique spiral paper clip which I found at my local Micheal's store.
 

Well friends that's it for me today.  Thank you so much for dropping by my blog and having a peek today.   If this is your first visit, please feel free to join this site if your a blogger or if your not, feel free to sign up for email notices so you can ee what's next. 

I always love hearing from you, so if you enjoyed today's post please feel free to leave me a comment.  I always love hearing from you and appreciate your encouraging words!  Wishing you all a wonderful week.  Until next time, be creative and live live life inspired!  ~ Dawna

3 comments:

  1. This is just beautiful, Dawna! What a lucky swap pal you have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GORGEOUS DAWN I love this jar you did amazing job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dawna, I have been peeking at all of your treasures, I love your mason jar and thanks for sharing the how you did it for us...

    ReplyDelete