Tuesday, January 17, 2012

First, strip all the hardware off your box and wipe down with clean rag.  Next, I wanted to make sure that none of the wood showed through on the corners of this box so I decided to paint where the paper comes together. 
My hubby lent me hand with this box and painted the hardware to match the Tim Holtz legs for me.  It adds a nice finishing touch to have matching hardware. 
Here's a close up on the bottom side design.  I've used the green as an accent and Martha Stewart's Deco Fan punch.  Don't worry about how the fans come together at the corner as the tall legs will cover up any miss-matched corners.   
Once you've got your designs figured out, it's time to Mod Podge (M/P)!  To make sure I'm layering properly, I turn my design upside down and peel it away, layer by layer and work onto the box by painting MP on the box first then smoothing out my paper layer over the M/P. Make sure your M/P goes on in a generous smooth layer so all of your paper is glued down. Be sure and smooth out your paper firmly to prevent any paper bubbles or heaving.    Continue to work in layers until your design is all glued down.  Do not get M/P on any raw box area that will not be covered with paper as it will leave that area tacky!  Hint:  If you do get M/P on raw wood wait till it dries and knock it off with a light sandpaper.  This is most important around the box closure edges as you don't want your box to 'stick closed.' 
Now that my design is all glued down, I wanted to add a little distressing with some aqua ink around the corners on the top.  Now it's time to seal the box with a good final coat of Mod Podge.  Let everything dry overnight before you handle again. 



1 comment:

  1. Wow, Dawna! This looks so amazing and absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!! And your craft area looks very neat!

    ReplyDelete